10/3/12

Dear Tiny,

I thought I'd say a couple words about your godmothers, Sarah and Sarah. You are ONE LUCKY KID, dude. The Sarahs are friends of mine from Muhlenberg (and now Dad's friends too) and are both professors at a university. They are super-smart, super well-read and genuinely curious about the world. Over the past nine years since I graduated college, I would always save up my Very Adult Questions about things like loans and taxes and savings accounts for my annual trip to visit them... because as much as you might believe that I have my life together, the Sarahs are NO JOKE.

Godparents are a weird notion, especially since Dad and I are not totally sure what we think about things like religion. I guess a long time ago godparents were designed to make sure a child was raised in a church and were responsible for providing some kind of religious influence on a child's life. That's not the role that my godparents played in my life (and Dad doesn't even know if he has godparents! Ha!), so we felt free to redefine the role when it came to you.

We want you to have a special relationship with the Sarahs; they are YOUR people. As you're growing up, you'll find that you may not want to confide everything in your parents... and you may go through phases of thinking we're the worst. It's important to me that you have solid adult figures in your life (outside of family, of course) who you can reach out to... and the Sarahs are perfect for this.

I'll also mention that every time we visit them, I literally want to adopt them as my own awesome aunts. We do the most fun things, like crafts and going on bike rides and visiting dairy farms and going out to brunch. They like to cook and read and talk about the world. I can't wait unti you're old enough to draw pictures so that we can send them mail... and then when you're old enough to spend a few nights without us, I'm excited to plan a visit so that you can hang out with them alone.

Consider them the first of many wonderful people we'll introduce you to... there are many more, but the Sarahs will always be yours.

Love,
Mama