8/26/12

Dear Tiny,

I grew up Lutheran and Dad grew up with multiple religious influences, but neither of us feel completely part of one community over another. I have wonderful memories of weekly church services and teaching Sunday School and I would love to find a place where we feel like we fit in. I think it's really important for you to have some religious or spiritual background because my knowledge of Christianity has been particularly helpful in close reading novels and texts in college, deciphering art at museums and generally providing me with a solid background to draw from when contributing to social conversations.

By the time you read these letters one day we will hopefully have figured things out for our family, but I want you to know that we didn't have it all figured out when we were pregnant with you. There will likely be moments in your life when you're unclear where you sit with religion or spirituality and I think it's important for you to know that we, too, had this uncertainty.

You can always talk to us about your questions and opinions, no matter what they are.

Love,
Mama