7/30/12

Dear Tiny,

A few weeks after you're likely to be born, there will be a presidential election. Normally you're supposed to go into the voting booth alone, but I wonder if they'll let you come with me, especially if you're in a little baby sling!

Politics is a tricky thing. There's a lot of noise out there and sometimes it seems like people take any chance they can to cut people down. It's a nasty business that, frankly, is totally tiring to read about on places like Facebook and other social media platforms, regardless of whether it's pro-Republican or pro-Democrat.

Dad and I read a bit about politics, but mostly I vote with my heart. I vote for people whose characters most closely represent my own beliefs. I vote when I am compelled by someone's opinion or when I'm impressed with someone for bravely standing up for something I believe in. Personally I have no idea financially whether I'd be Republican or Democrat... because the truth is that the most important thing to me (above money, above all that other jazz) is society and how we create community. For that reason, I'll always vote for the candidate that is most socially aligned with what I believe our country should be.

You'll have to decide what values you bring into the voting booth with you one day. They might not line up with my own values and that's fine. Don't let others persuade you; so long as you're voting with your conscience, you're doing alright.

Love,
Mama