6/21/12

Dear Tiny,

Today we spent the whole day in Kenosha. We hung out with your Grandmama and Uncle Adam, got lunch, drove around Carthage College's campus (where Dad used to work) and played cards with Dad's best friend, Snavely.

There was a lot of catching up and hearing the news about what's going on locally. Over breakfast I paged through the Kenosha newspaper, taking in a few stories about the community. I was reminded of how my Dad used to navigate staying with his in-laws (my Nana and Pop-pop)... I remember him reading the local news, asking my Nana about local politics and bringing up current events that she might find interesting. He also used to take long walks and sometimes nap.

Spending time with family that is not the family you grew up with is very different! One day in a long time you may find the same. We (you, me and Dad) will develop routines, family jokes and a certain comfort level around each other as a new nuclear family. Then one day you'll have to figure out how you fit into other social circumstances. Sometimes you will be compelled to guide the conversation; in other instances you may decide to sit back and be part of the scenery. Both are important skills to learn.

Your Grandmama may be moving back to Kentucky sometime soon, which means another state for you to travel to! I have never been there and I think Dad has only been a few times. Isn't it strange-you'll have family in the South! Now that's something that I never had...

Love,
Mama