5/17/12

Dear Tiny,

Well! We sure saw a lot of you today. We had our anatomy ultrasound this morning and Dad I were so excited to find out if you're a boy or a girl. We know but we're keeping it our secret until this weekend. That is so hard to do, but it's kind of fun having such a big secret between us, even for a few days. :)

Science is so amazing and I'm sure by the time you're old enough to think about children the technology will be such that you'll just order one on Amazon.com. But Dad and I thought it was SO cool how we got to see the four chambers of your heart, your brain hemispheres, your kidneys, your stomach, your bladder and all of your fingers! They were really thorough and we needed to keep jostling you around in there to get a good look at it all. Luckily you were generous enough to give us a look at the goods, so within about 5 minutes the technician could tell us whether we're having a daughter or a son. That was a crazy moment!

Your hands were covering your face for a little while and then they were waving around a little; your legs were tucked under you for a little while and then they were stretched out up towards your head. Your head is on the right side of my belly and you're laying sideways, face-up. I'm including these details here because I think it's fascinating to know things about yourself before you're even really aware of yourself. One day I hope you will read this and have a moment of wonder about the being you were before you came out into the world and maybe spend a few minutes contemplating what that meant.

You are so much more real to us now and I must admit that I'm so glad we listened to Dad and decided to find out your gender. I have visions of you as a little kid (based very much on the photos I have of Dad, Aunt Kate, Uncle Steve and me as a kid) and suddenly, with just a gender assignment, the most minimalist storyline appears on your horizon.

We can't wait to share the news with everyone in a couple days, and especially the new images we have of you. You sure do have a cute little nose!

Love,
Mama