5/15/12

Dear Tiny,

Whenever I think about where you'll be born (Manhattan), I think about you applying for a passport one day. I never think about the town in which I was born except for when I'm traveling out of the country. "Hatboro, PA" it says on my passport, and I always think to myself "how strange that I don't remember anything about the place that is so significant that it's one of the few pieces of data used to identify me as a foreign traveler."

I don't think that will be the case for you. Dad and I aren't planning on raising you in NYC, but we'll be here for a little while, I think. You're going to be a city baby, one who might know the sounds of the subway and the feeling of cool shadows beside tall buildings. You'll know an elevator and an apartment and tourists. This isn't the environment that Dad or I were brought home to when we were born, but we are coming around to the idea that your life will be different than ours.

No doubt this is only the first example!

Love,
Mama